An important part of the project is continued work on an exceptional site bearing witness to three centuries of salt production. Located at Ireland’s most north-easterly point in Co. Antrim, the saltworks near the town of Ballycastle were in operation from the 17th to 19th centuries. They comprise three separate sites with varying remains, from brine reservoirs used to collect seawater to the remains of the last wrought iron evaporation pans in use. The earliest site is first mentioned in 1629 and test work in 2012 successfully located the walls of the salt house. This exciting discovery will act as a focus for continued work over the next two years.